Sunday, June 27, 2010

Why Create "The Art of Soap?"

Like most soap makers, I love everything about soap.  Making it, using it, talking about it... and I love admiring the work of others.  Seeing each person's style, trying their soaps, hearing about their favorite part of the process, why they started to make soap - there are as many stories as there are soap makers.

Outside of the community, a bar of soap is not generally known for its beauty.  Soap making is completely unrecognized in the art world and a bit of an outsider in crafting.  So I have decided to publish a book called The Art of Soap.

24 distinctive artisans will be featured, with stunning photographs by Erin Pikor and a personal story written by each soap maker. For someone unfamiliar with the possibilities of soap crafting, it will be eye opening.  For those in the soap community, it will be a feast for the eyes and hopefully a great source of inspiration and pride. 

I hope you'll join me on my journey to create this book and learn more about the people that will be inside it.  I'm incredibly excited and can't wait to share it with you!

16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get it! Congratulations on your wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to getting a copy! Wonderful idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Looking forward to getting a copy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Cool! When you two get together it's lethal-in a good CLEAN Fun way! Congrats, I cant wait to get my copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Soapmakers know how beautiful soap can be. It's time the rest of the world discover that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to see all the artists and their work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a wonderful idea and I look forward to your book! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting stuff. Can't wait to drool!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, this is such a cool idea! Sounds like my *perfect* coffee table book! Can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Debbie for putting this book together! I'm extremely excited and can't wait to get a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! What a team, you and Erin. I don't think I can wait until fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Debbie, a great idea and I look forward to seeing me. And congratulations also to Erin, for sure your pictures are so wonderful as are their soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great concept! Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your support and encouragement, everyone! Make sure to tune in tomorrow when I'll be introducing the first featured artist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea! congrats! I'm in a hurry to have the book in hand.

    ReplyDelete

The Art of Soap Readers Around the World